Putting his 2014 loss to Adriano Moraes behind, Geje “Gravity” Eustaquio reached deep into his bag of tricks to overcome the Brazilian grappling ace and become the new undisputed ONE Championship flyweight world champion.
Behind a packed crowd at the Studio City Events Center in Macau in one of the main events of “ONE: Pinnacle of Power”, Eustaquio engaged Moraes in a tight back-and-forth battle for five rounds before earning the judges’ nod and come away with a split decision win and unify the promotion’s flyweight belts.
“The feeling is awesome. I want to thank all my kababayans (countrymen) here who came out to support me. I came to Macau with one vision, and that is to [unify the flyweight titles],” the Team Lakay striker said moments after the fight.
“I want to thank God, Team Lakay, and of course my family. And to all the fans, thank you so much for the undying support,” added Eustaquio.
The wushu specialist initiated the attack in the first round with a resounding kick to the Brazilian’s body and then went for the takedown but Moraes was quick to counter with a guillotine choke that brought a scare to Eustaquio.
The Baguio native, though, was able to regroup and for the next four rounds, pushed Moraes to the edge before pinning his opponent with a hard slam much to the delight of the Pinoy fans in attendance before finally sealing the victory.
In the co-main event, China’s Xiong Jing Nan successfully defended her women’s strawweight title after defeating Argentina’s Laura Balin via unanimous decision.
The other results:
- Rin Saroth defeats Mario Satya Wirawan via referee stoppage due to strikes in the third round.
- Filipino Danny Kingad beats Ma Hao Bin via unanimous decision.
- Li Kai Wen easily disposed Filipino Rodian Menchavez with a first round knockout victory.
- Yukinori Ogasawara knocks out Rui Botelho in the second round of their Muay Thai encounter.
- Lerdsila Phuket Top Team outscores Sok Thy with a split decision win in their Muay Thai battle.
- Narantungalag Jadambaa overcomes the Philippines’ Edward Kelly via referee stoppage due to strikes in the second round.
- Ev Ting wins via unanimous decision over Koji Ando.
- Petchmorrakot Wor. Sangprapai defeats Fabrice Fairtex Delannon via stoppage in their Muay Thai clash.
Photos courtesy of ONE Championship